Saturday, March 2, 2013

A jaw dropping awakening

I got a call saying my new TMJ physical therapist had a cancellation!!!  So I grabbed the appointment, which was two days ago.

The appointment was eye opening (or perhaps the more appropriate term is jaw dropping).  I went into this convinced that my neck pain was not due to jaw issues.  The therapist had me fill out extensive questionnaires.  Then after a one hour thorough examination, I was convinced I had TMJ.  I never thought I had TMJ because I had no jaw pain.  But apparently TMJ can give you pain in other areas including the head and neck.  So there you have it.  I have TMJ, as much as I didn't want to admit it.

So, what next?  A new physical therapy regimen which will include some very strange oral movements as well as neck and chest stretches.  I started doing these yesterday and haven't noticed any change.

So exercise and therapy twice a week is the plan right now.  I have an appointment with Dr. Fink tomorrow and hope to get more insight then.

We will continue to work on this and give updates as I hopefully improve.  I am just so relieved that I may finally be on the right track.

No comments:

Post a Comment